Archive for category Business
I was in about my second week at Microsoft when Windows 95 officially launched. It was a big deal on the corporate campus with Jay Leno MCing the event. It seems like just a few days ago and then again it seems like eons in the past. Our two decades in Washington have passed ever so quickly.
I still can’t get over how the stock market has recovered from the 2007-08 crash. Today’s close of 15,747 is 9,240 points up from the Great Recession low of 6,507 on March 9, 2009; just 1,704 days ago.
- Dow Jones Hits New Record High (business.time.com)
I never would have imagined this kind of run-up in the stock market. By the end of 2008 I expected it might take ten years for the market to recover and for us to recoup our losses. I like this chart from the Wall Street Journal that chronicles the DJIA march from 8000 to 15000:
Good Grief! The EU has fined Microsoft $730 million for failure to give users the option to select a Web browser other than Internet Explorer. And Microsoft admits they did it. “Yep. We screwed up. A technical oversight.”
When are heads going to roll in Redmond?
- A decade of flat stock price in the biggest bull market in history.
- More than a decade without a truly new product.
- Complete failure in the smart phone and tablet products.
- Over $3 billion in fines paid to the EU.
- Billions squandered is useless acquisitions.
What other company in the world with this kind of litany of failures still has the same CEO?
- EU fines Microsoft over web browser (bbc.co.uk)